...

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Scene So Sacred


I wanted to add a little bit more about this item. It was truly amazing the thoughts that were able to come to my head when I was making these.

 I knew I wanted to have 'baby Jesus' as close to the center as I could get. I was thinking about how Christ should be as close to the center of our lives as we can get Him, to always be striving to keep Him close to our minds and hearts. To keep Him there, permanently. I knew that I wanted to have the tail of the star pointing straight to Him.

I wanted the clay pieces of 'Mary' be more twirled and feminine than the pieces of 'Joseph.' I wanted the pieces of 'Joseph' to be more defined, squared off, with a more sturdy and firm nature.  Thoughts of what 'The Family: A Proclamation To The World' discusses. I had thoughts of what is going on in the world right now.How some women are becoming more rough and tough as if they are out to prove something. I thought about how we are to stand up for the family. With some women wanting the priesthood, gay marriage being allowed in so many places and the difficult conversations my husband and I will have to have with our young children soon, not to mention the hard decisions they will have to make.

I knew I wanted 'Joseph and Mary's' knees touching. To have a feel of closeness, love and unity in this beautiful family circle. The miracle of Christ's birth, the miracle of His life and ministry and of the Atonement.

This very moment I was attempting to duplicate almost made me quit altogether. But the thought of how a simple handmade representation hanging on our tree would be wonderful. Thoughts of how vital it is we focus our Christmas' on Christ each and every year. At our house we have no santa decorations. We sing silly santa songs or watch movies with santa storylines, but the feel of our Christmas' are the importance of the miracle of the Savior.

So I continued because this can be one more visual reminder of why we even celebrate Christmas. The Savior's life was about service to others and that is what this season should be based upon.

How great to have this space to be able to explain all of this to those who are interested in this item for their tree this year. To hear the story behind the making. The spirit that was with me to depict a scene so sacred.

Clay Nativity Ornament
$5.00

My grandma had seen a picture I had posted on facebook of a toy knight I had made out of clay for my daughter. It gave her the idea to ask me to do this year's ornament for the grandkids.
I was honored at the request, for this reason:
Each grandkid has received an ornament every single year of our lives and she stops the year after we are married. She still has 15 grandkids to give ornaments to, so I was asked to make that amount. I had explained to her I would love to 'make a little business' since I love this clay stuff so much. She had said these could be examples for items to sell so it was sweet of her to say that, to humor me in my simple lil dream. I have LOVED LOVED LOVED getting ornaments from them each year that I have INSISTED my parents continue this on with their grandkids and they have!!
So that is why I started to make these in the first place, because of my amazing wonderful grandmother and grandfather!

No comments:

Post a Comment